About Us
Our Travels
Gift Certificates
Contact Us


Travel Tips
Weather Reports
Exchange Rates



Destination Weddings

Trips & Information

Legal Requirements for Destination Weddings

Marriage license requirements often change.  The below information is for Canadians and should be used as guidance only.  For up-to-date information, please contact the countries’ Embassy or Consulate.   


  • Canadian Passport
  • Tourist Card
  • An information sheet will be provided by your hotel’s wedding coordinator requiring:
    • Bride and Groom’s full names
    • Permanent address
    • Occupations
    • Level of education
    • Nationality
    • Parents full names, for both the bride and groom
  • If applicable, a Divorce Decree, as well as the Birth Certificate of the previous spouse
  • If applicable, a Death Certificate, as well as the Marriage Certificate and Birth Certificate of the previous spouse
  • All documents listed lust be translated into Spanish and notarized by the Cuban Consulate of Canada


  • Canadian Passports
  • Copy of Tourist Cards
  • Birth Certificates
  • Four witnesses with passports (can be provided by some hotels if needed)
  • Locally preformed blood test and chest x-ray
  • If applicable, the Divorce Decree or Death Certificate
  • Visitors must arrive into Mexico at least 4 days prior to the wedding date
  • Mexican Embassy: 1(416) 368-1847
  • Mexico Tourist Board:

Dominican Republic

  • Two copies of each document below must be sent to the Dominican Consulate of Canada
  • All documents must be translated into Spanish by an official translator from the Dominican Consulate and Notarized prior to arrival
    • Passport
    • Original Birth Certificate
    • Notarized Single Status affidavit, which can be provided by the Consulate or your hotel
    • Divorce Decree or Death Certificate, if applicable
    • If applicable, an Adoption Certificate
  • Two witnesses, with passports (can be provided by some hotels if needed)
  • Note for BRIDES only: there is a mandatory 10-month waiting period after divorce for women to re-marry
  • Dominican Republic Embassy:
  • Dominican Republic Tourist Board:


  • Certified copy of both the bride and the groom’s Birth Certificate which includes the father’s name
  • If applicable, a Divorce Decree or Death Certificate
  • Note: visitors can be married just 24-hours after arrival providing a prior application has been made for the marriage license.
  • French Canadians must provide Notarized and translated copy of all documents, along with a photocopy of the original

Costa Rica

  • No less than 30 days prior to arrival the following paperwork must be presented;
    • Full Legal name (no initials)
    • Passports numbers and nationality
    • Date and place of birth
    • Permanent Address
    • Address of hotel in Costa Rica
    • Occupation
    • Marital Status with Divorce Decree if applicable
    • Full name, nationality and permanent address for both sets of parents
    • Original passport along with 2 photocopies for each the bride and groom
  • Two witnesses that will provide full names, passport number, nationality, date and place of birth, permanent address, marital status, original passport and 1 photocopy of the passport
  • Upon arrival the bride and groom must sign a sworn statement that all of the information provided is correct


  • There is no required waiting period or minimum length of stay
  • Applications must be made by both parties in person at the office of the Ministry of Home Affairs in the capital city of Bridgetown  You will require:
    • Valid passports
    • Return tickets or ongoing travel arrangements (ie: cruise documents)
    • If applicable, the original Divorce Decree and a certified copy of the original marriage certificate
    • If applicable, a certified copy of the Death Certificate
    • For Roman Catholic ceremonies, the relevant documents must be sent by your bishop to the bishop of Bridgetown
    • If the documents are not in English, they must be translated and certified


  • The couple must be in The Islands of the Bahamas at the time of application for the marriage license.  If you arrive by cruise ship, you will be required to obtain a letter from the ship’s purser confirming that you have met the residency period by being in Bahamian waters for 24 hours.   Exceptions are made for cruise ship passengers to receive their license immediately.
  • Couples may apply a day after their arrival and can be married once they receive their approved license the day after application.
  • If applicable, the original final decree or a certified copy must be produced.  Where applicable, a translated, certified and notarized copy of the final decree must be produced.
  • If applicable, the original death certificate or certified copy must be produced. Where applicable, a translated, certified and notarized copy of the death certificate must be produced.
  • If either party is single and never been married before, a declaration certifying this fact must be sworn before a notary public or other person authorized to administer oaths in the country of residence.  This document must accompany the application for the marriage license.  This declaration can also be obtained in The Bahamas from an attorney-at-law or notary public.
  • Both parties must produce a valid passport, birth certificate and photo ID.  The parties must also produce evidence of the date of their arrival in The Bahamas.  The Bahamas Immigration Card or entry stamp in your passport will suffice.
  • The fee for a marriage license is $120 inclusive of one certified copy of a marriage certificate.  Extramarriage certificatesare available at $20 each.


  • Canadian Passports and Birth Certificates
  • A Marriage License Application must be prepared by both the bride and groom and then must be filed in person  You will need:
    • proof of identification and age
    • provide any information about previous marriages
    • $60 fee – cash only
    • a witness when you sign the application
    • There is no waiting period

Renewal of vows

This is also known as a symbolic ceremony.  The restrictions for each country is far less.  This type of ceremony, the marriage will be considered “not legal”.